Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Strange People Monday, Part II

The Yarn Harlot was in town last night, at Third Place Books, promoting her latest book on knitting humor, Things I Learned From Knitting (Whether I Wanted To or Not).

One of the best things about this event was the bonding going on in the room prior to Stephanie Pearl-McPhee taking the stage.  A room full of knitters, from all walks of life, gathered together chatting about yarn, patterns, books, and anything else related to the sickness of knitting.   I had the pleasure of sitting next to a nice, older woman who just raved about the yarn that I was using-the color is Bloom, dyed by Absolute Jeanius-and, the sock that I was knitting-the Monkey Sock by Cookie A.

Then, her friend arrived. 

And, Strange People Monday, Part II, began with the following conversation:

Nice, older woman to her Friend:  Look at the sock that she is knitting, isn't the yarn pretty?
Me:  Thank you, I'll let my friend know that you liked it.
Friend, nose turned up:  What'd she dye it with Kool Aid?
Me:  Uh, no, but I don't think that she would have a problem dying with Kool Aid.

Nice, older woman:  Isn't the sock pattern that she is knitting pretty?
People in the row behind us:  Oh, I love that sock pattern, and that is the cutest yarn I have ever seen!
Friend:  Yes, I guess Americans really enjoy their socks...yawn...
(Hmmm...no accent detected, not even Canadian)
Me:  Excuse the f**k out of me elitist, pretend, euro trash!  OK, so I didn't really say that, I should have, huh?

Then, Friend pulls out her knitting, and it took every fiber of my being (no pun intended) to keep from laughing because SHE WAS KNITTING WITH RED HEART!!!  I HEARD IT SQUEAK!  and...YES, MY NAME IS KAT, AND I AM A YARN SNOB!

Perhaps I am the strangest of Strange People Monday.